Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Son At War: part one

Its early morning, dark and still. The duffle bag is loaded in the trunk and my soldier son in the front seat; we are on the way to the armory. I’ve known this day was coming for a year now but I am not prepared. I’m in the back seat alone as my husband drives and my son copilots, waging my own battle against all the what ifs that are assaulting my mind. What if he never comes back? What if he comes back with out limbs or a mind that allows him to live a life free from this war? The tears begin to fall quietly as I grasp hold of the only thing that will get us all through the year ahead, faith in our God who is sovereign. I believe He has a plan for my son over there beyond what the Army has and I know that He goes with my son. It has always been my hope that both my boys would follow God’s will for their lives. So as this brave young man steps out of the car gathering his gear, he is a hero already to this mom. He is serving his country in a time of war but more importantly he is serving his Lord. As we walk into the armory I am proud and I am confident in my God’s ability to take care of him but I am still a mom sending her son off to war.  

2 comments:

  1. What a brave young man, and what a loving mom he has. Be sure to get Edie's new book!
    Praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete