Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Getting What You Want

My, how times have changed. I was not raised getting everything I wanted. I was prepared to live in the real world that is not going to be all about you. After all it's not good for us to have everything we want, you know how those people usually turn out.

If you ask my children they will tell you they didn't get everything they wanted or even allowed to do everything they wanted to do. I see so many parents giving into their children to stop them from crying, but I discovered long ago it will not damage children to let them cry and can be even good for them. I'm sure I gave in plenty of times when I shouldn't have. Now as I have gotten older I have a different perspective.

When I was employed as a teachers assistant I took a class that told us when teaching children we should prepare lessons so that they do not have to wait. You should go from one thing to another and one child to another without any one having to wait. I questioned the wisdom of this in my own mind immediately, can you say road rage! Back in the day we learned early on we had to wait our turn. What kind of people are we raising that they think they shouldn't have to wait. Then I saw it on the news, a young woman who was jumping through a drive through window attacking someone because she couldn't have chicken nuggets, the restaurant was serving breakfast. People don't know how to wait anymore, they want what they want and they want it now. Not good for any of us.

Poor Micheal Jackson wasn't raised getting what he wanted really, we learned after he grew up what he really wanted was a normal childhood and a father who knew how to love him. When I watched interviews with him I remember feeling an aching for what he had missed. Certainly as an adult, his fame made it possible for him to have whatever he wanted and I'm sure that is something you can quickly become accustomed to. In the end it cost him his life. This doctor turned a blind eye to everything he knew to be right and gave him what he wanted even though it wasn't what was best for him. It is tragic.

I am so glad my heavenly Father doesn't always give me what I ask for. He loves me so much He gives me what is best for me even if it makes me uncomfortable or causes me pain. When I think of some things I have asked for in a fit of stupidity, it makes me shudder. All I really want is to be in God's will for my life, so thank you Lord for loving me enough to give me what is best for me not always what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment