Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Son At War #7 Separated At Christmas

I've been getting things together for weeks, all I can think of is my baby boy so far from home and everything he loves at Christmas. Surrounded by sand, the metal buildings that make up the base, weapons and the reality that your life could be taken at any moment. What a way to spend these very special holidays, I am determined to do what I can to see that he has some things to make it festive. The first thing to make it's way across the ocean is the tree, 3ft and prelit along with ornaments and various other decorations. He's excited to receive them but even this small tree is too big for his room so he puts it out somewhere for everyone to enjoy. He uses most everything we send to bring light into this very dark corner of the world for his fellow soldiers.

He has sent presents for us from Iraq and I send some for him, marked do not open till Christmas. Wonder can I trust him? Also along with his gifts are goody bags for some of his comrades that he gets to torture them with because they are also marked " not till Christmas ". I get a phone call early one morning from Iraq, it's his 1st Sargent. He saw the Little Debbie Christmas tree cakes and wants one! Garrett won't budge, not until Christmas so he tells him to call me and if I say OK then he can have one. Garrett is convinced I wont give in but how could anyone be hardcore with someone making the sacrifice they are making, not me! It was a very fun call!

Christmas morning arrives and his absence has left a big hole, thank goodness Graham and Andrea have been able to be here or I wouldn't have made it. We get everything ready to skype and open presents together, Garrett is up very late to join us. Skye is a wonderful thing if you have a good connection which does not happen often over there and Christmas morning is no exception. The call keeps dropping and so we have only a few minutes at a time but you can see the joy on his face as we open his very special presents sent from so far away. Then there is the frustration building every time the call drops, and we have to call it quits. Suddenly the miles that separate us are magnified and his absence overwhelms me and the tears come.

After a few moments, I do just like my soldier, I carry on. I have a very wonderful husband, son and daughter-in-law here with me and the traditions that make Christmas unique to our family will move us through the day.

After all, this is what it's all about. God came to earth, a Savior was born, the gift of salvation was given, a way was made to have a relationship with the living God. All because of His great love for us! That is worth celebrating inspite of what ever sadness this world brings. So with a tear in my eye I went about the day celebrating the birth of my Lord knowing that Garrett was doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment