Monday, January 16, 2012

Those in-laws!

It's been the source of many jokes and subject matter for many horror movies.  I guess it can be a difficult relationship if there is not love and respect for the roles that each person plays in their loved one's life. I've been pretty blessed as far as in-laws go, I was accepted into my husband's family with love. Though none of us are perfect, we have loved each other in spite of it.

I know it can be difficult to navigate and learn your new place when your child gets married. I've watched how painful it can be when parents are shut out of their child's life once they marry, I don't think that's what Christ meant when He said cleve. What an eye opener when in a group of women who were brought together in the deployment of their soldiers. I saw the battle between mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws and the hurt from mother-in-laws who were just left out or pushed out. I was very grateful Garrett wasn't married and very sad for the others.

There are many good relationships between in-laws and they are priceless. It's where there is love and forgiveness and realizing you are not perfect so don't expect other's to be. I prayed for my son's wives to be when they were small and God certainly answered in the case of my oldest. She is everything I prayed for and more, a woman after God's heart and a spirit as sweet as honey in the promised land. She is a gift to me and our entire family, I'm counting on Garrett to do as well.

So what's the difference? It's really very simple, it's all about whether people are living their lives to honor God. I didn't say easy, I said simple. We are human, we make mistakes, we can irritate each other and even worse but if we seek to live for Christ we have to follow His example to love and forgive. It's what I strive for and thank God for a daughter -in-law who strives for the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter-in-law sounds precious, and I'm praying for mine too - wherever she is right now!! Great reminder that it's never too early to PRAY for our children's spouses :)

    ReplyDelete