Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Son At War#10: Life Goes On

 Life goes on around you and you have to carry on. We broke the time up with holidays to make it more manageable. We concentrated on getting through Thanksgiving, then Christmas and New Years, Valentines,etc. I put together care packages and goody bags celebrating these holidays so the soldiers wouldn't feel so left out and give them something to look forward too. It was my way of loving on them from home, it made me feel connected.

I never felt alone in this, our family also showed their love and support to Garrett with packages and letters. He always had plenty to share with his company. Also every time I went to church, my church family would ask how Garrett was doing and reminding me they were still praying for him. They also sent packages and cards, Garrett was well known in the post office on their post and as he shared his loot it gave him an opportunity to share about the family of God.

The days go by and God continues to walk me through it with a peace beyond all understanding. Until one day the mail truck pulls into my drive way and unloads Garrett's foot locker. Heidi is barking her head off and I look out the window to see it being put on my porch. I cannot contain myself, throwing open the front door, running out with my camera, shouting for joy! I don't often show excitement but this mail lady almost had a heart attack. She knew what this foot locker meant and rejoiced with me even when I ask her to unload it again so I could take her picture! This marks a new chapter, preparing to come home.

1 comment:

  1. Garrett is blessed to have you for a mom. I sure hope he knows that. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete