Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Son At War #11: Coming Home

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel, dates are being thrown around, plans are being made and anticipation is building. I love to decorate for holidays and with Garrett's homecoming around July fourth, our house is exploding with red, white and blue.

As preparations are being made it is not lost on me that homecoming for soldier's families are not always a celebration and Satan is there to ask "What if he made it this far and right before he leaves he is killed?". I go through the "what if's?" and remind myself of the thing that has gotten me through this past year. My God is in control.


Before we know it we are standing on the scorching, black tar mack at the Greenville airport. Home made signs are being waved, voices are crying out hoorays and the plane lands bringing our soldiers back to us. Tears of happiness are running down faces to the smiles below. They unload into formation as we search with our eyes for the one that belongs to us. We are fixed on the line that we cannot cross right now but as soon as all speeches are given and the word is given, it is every man for himself!

Of course I am the first one to reach Garrett, it's my baby boy. As I wrap my arms around him, the end of a long year has come. I am very proud of this soldier and very thankful to the God who brought him home.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your journey! And I especially love it now that Garrett is home :)

    ReplyDelete